Wednesday, June 4, 2008

George Harrison -- Crackerbox Palace

Digging around on YouTube I came across this gem -- a video for George Harrison's 1976 single "Crackerbox Palace," directed by that noted Python, Eric Idle. The video is utterly mad, and seems to embody a kind of cartoonish excess, achieving a fusion of the Monty Python sensibility (see: cameos by Graham Chapman and Neil Innes in drag) as well as the Beatles' own take on surrealism (think a live-action Yellow Submarine), all wrapped up in a Fellini-esque carnival atmosphere.

Everyone involved seems to be having what we Brits call 'a total laugh,' and the video features some lovely footage of George's house, Friar Park in Henley-on-Thames. At the risk of dropping names, I was at school with Harrison's son Dhani, and seeing this video took me right back to my childhood, when I too gallivanted around the house and gardens shown here (although I was dressed a little less crazily.)


No comments: